A spicy, creamy, cheesy dip that tastes just like hot Buffalo chicken wings. Be warned: it’s VERY addictive.
World Cup season is finally upon us! I had great plans for my England vs. USA match day snack-off, but unfortunately and unbelievably (well, maybe), my adopted home country has been officially knocked out. Even more unbelievably, the USA won their first match. I was so proud of those boys and thrilled to see the amount of support they had on the ground. It was well worth the 1 AM bed time and lost sleep. The USA vs. Ghana match reminded me why I got into the sport in the first place. Anything can happen!
As ironic as it may be, getting a German coach was probably the best thing the USA could have done. I felt like I was watching a proper football team. And yes, that’s the word I’m unashamedly using. They do spend the entire game kicking the ball with their feet.
Whether you love the World Cup and can’t get enough, or your just ready for the whole thing to be over with already, it’s a great excuse to make some delicious food! Enter Part One of my England vs. USA game day snack off – Hot Buffalo Chicken Dip. I don’t think I could get more American if I tried. It’s all I can think about right now. I made it a few times to get the recipe exactly as I wanted, but it’s not enough! I need more!
Good thing the USA are back on tomorrow night……
Enter Exhibit A: Frank’s RedHot Sauce, the original Buffalo chicken wings sauce. You MUST use this. I’ve used both the Original Cayenne Pepper Sauce and the Buffalo Wings Sauce and had great results with both. I get so over-the-top excited when I find American products in British supermarkets. I found Frank’s Sauce in Sainsburys and Waitrose. My heart is happy.
Seriously, this is so spicy, creamy and cheesy. I’m not a lover of very spicy food, but this is one of those dips you subconsciously keep going back for more and more. I found the original Frank’s dip recipe a bit gloppy and greasy for my liking, so I’ve made a few changes.
I should also note that although the classic pairing for hot wings is a blue cheese sauce, I’ve not incorporated blue cheese in this dip. Gavin wouldn’t touch it otherwise, so I’ve cooked to please my audience!
I’ve reduced the amount of cream cheese and substituted 1/2 of the ranch dressing for sour cream to lighten the texture. I added a little celery salt for flavor and a few tablespoons of lemon juice for acidity. This really brightens the whole dip and the sharpness cuts through those richer flavors.
Make it for the match tomorrow! Come on USA!!!
Make sure to check out Part 2 – a trip across the ocean for some Homemade Sausage Rolls. Want people to love you? Make these.
- 4 ounces (115 grams) cream cheese
- ¼ cup (60 ml) Ranch dressing
- ¼ cup (60 ml) sour cream
- ⅓ cup (100 ml) Frank's Cayenne Pepper Sauce or Frank's Buffalo Wing Sauce
- ½ teaspoon celery salt
- 1 to 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice (about half of a small lemon)
- 2 cups chicken, cooked and shredded: (I use half of a store bought roasted chicken)
- ½ cup (40 grams) strong cheddar cheese, grated
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C or 160 degrees C for a fan oven).
- Combine the cream cheese, ranch dressing, sour cream, hot sauce, celery salt and lemon juice in a medium bowl and mix well.
- Fold in the chicken and about two thirds of the grated cheese.
- Transfer mixture to baking dish. I used a small oval dish measuring approx 9 inches in length and 6 inches in width.
- Scatter the remaining grated cheese over the top.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes until mixture is piping hot and bubbling around the sides.
- I sometimes put the dip under the broiler for 2 to 3 minutes at the very end until the cheese is golden brown. It can burn quickly though, so keep an eye on it!
- Serve with tortilla chips, crackers and celery sticks.